A7N8X Deluxe / 2700+ XP CPU settings

Old January 4th 04, 02:01 PM
matt

Default A7N8X Deluxe / 2700+ XP CPU settings

Have been having issues when trying to set up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo
as I can't get the AMD 2700+ XP chip to run at full speed.

I've checked all of the jumper settings on the board, and they're fine
(all on defaults, FSB400/333/266 enabled).

BIOS Settings:

Setup #1

CPU External Freq. (MHz) 166
CPU Freq Multplier Setting [Auto]
[CPU Freq Multiple 12.5x]
System Perfomance [Optimal]
CPU Interface [Optimal]

Resulting CPU speed: 1243.350 MHz

---------------------
Setup #2

CPU External Freq. (MHz) 166
CPU Freq Multplier Setting [Menu]
[CPU Freq Multiple 13x]
System Perfomance [Optimal]
CPU Interface [Optimal]

Resulting CPU Speed: 497.344 MHZ

Do I need to flash the BIOS? Or is it a mobo/CPU problem?

This is the second Mobo/Chip (the first board blew and took the chip down
with it) and it stopped being fun a long time ago.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

--
Matt

"There's no place like root,
There's no place like root..."
Old January 4th 04, 04:35 PM
KB

Is that the Athlon XP2700 Barton or T-Bred?

Old January 4th 04, 05:25 PM
matt

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:36:58 +0000, KB wrote:

266 FSB or 333FSB?
256 L2 or 512 L2?

It's a Barton Core; 333FSB; 256 L1 and L2

BIOS version 1003.

--
Matt

"There's no place like root,
There's no place like root..."
Old January 4th 04, 07:41 PM
Doug Ramage

"matt" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:36:58 +0000, KB wrote:

266 FSB or 333FSB?
256 L2 or 512 L2?

It's a Barton Core; 333FSB; 256 L1 and L2

BIOS version 1003.

--
Matt

The latest BIOS is 1007, IIRC. Might be worth trying later ones. There are
different ones for version 1 and version 2 boards.

Some people have found BIOS 1004 gives the highest FSBs.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Old January 4th 04, 08:04 PM
matt

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:17:14 +0000, KB wrote:

One other thing, you need to run your ram in sync with the cpu. If you
have PC3200 then set it to run at the right MHz for the XP2700.

KB,

Thanks for the input.

When manually setting the CPU External Freq to 166 and Multiplier to 13x
I get a speed of approx 500Mhz out of the CPU (as per the original post).

I've got a gig of PC3200 RAM, setting this to "Auto" (which alters the
values according to the 166 FSB setting automatically) or "By SPD"
(200 MHz) the CPU speed does not alter.

When letting the mobo sort out the CPU Multiplier itself, I get 1243MHz out
of the CPU - again no change when altering the RAM speed from "Auto" to
"By SPD".

The jumper on the board is in it's default position, allowing a FSB of
400/333/266MHz.

Any other suggestions? The only other thing I can think of is to get a
different mobo, probably an Abit... I've never had these kinds of issues with
other PCs I've built and am considering taking a hammer to this mobo.

--
Matt

"There's no place like root,
There's no place like root..."
Old January 4th 04, 08:25 PM
Doug Ramage

"matt" wrote in message
[...]

I am not aware of a Barton 2700, only a Thoroughbred 2700. Bartons are 2500,
2600, 2800, 3000 and 3200.

So, what cpu have you got?
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Old January 4th 04, 10:02 PM
matt

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:25:46 +0000, Doug Ramage wrote:

"matt" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately I didn't purchase the CPU, though I was told it was a
Barton core (setting up the machine for a friend - something I'm starting
to regret).

If there is no Barton core 2700+, it's a Thoroughbred 2700+.

I'll try flashing the BIOS to 1004 and see where that takes me.

--
Matt

"There's no place like root,
There's no place like root..."
Old January 4th 04, 11:14 PM
KB

There was a Barton core XP2700, I was going to get one.
On the AMD site there are the specs for that one.
There was the T-Bred and later the Barton core one.
They are still on sale in the UK.
They have a 256K L2 cache and run on a 333fsb.
It was a model 8.
http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...o-id-5210.html
Has them on sale.
I nearly ordered one a week or so ago but changed my order to an XP2800.

Old January 4th 04, 11:44 PM
Doug Ramage

"KB" wrote in message
There was a Barton core XP2700, I was going to get one.
On the AMD site there are the specs for that one.
There was the T-Bred and later the Barton core one.
They are still on sale in the UK.
They have a 256K L2 cache and run on a 333fsb.
It was a model 8.
http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...o-id-5210.html
Has them on sale.
I nearly ordered one a week or so ago but changed my order to an XP2800.

That has the same clockspeed as a Thoroughbred 2700.

I cannot trace any Barton 2700 on AMD's website - only a Thoroughbred 2700.
Can you point me to it?
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Old January 5th 04, 12:13 AM
KB

Chip color has nothing to do with it.......................
I had bartons with Green, T-Breds with brown.................
my last cpu was an XP2400 T-Bred and was brown.