VCD or SVCD to CDR

Old September 1st 03, 07:13 AM
gray

Default VCD or SVCD to CDR

I have downloaded a number of video files. Five of the files are in
avi format and eight are in asf format. I have tried to create CD's
to be used in the home DVD player which is supposed to be capable of
playing VCD's and SVCD's.

I have tried to create the CD's with Nero5.5, NTI DVD/CD6.507 and EZCD
Creator. I failed as described below.

1 - In the case of NTI it says the video codec in not available. Can
someone post the needed codec for Windows2000. The message was
received after the installation of the AVI2MPG addon was installed.

In the case of the asf format files the following was encountered: The
program reports invalid mpeg/avi format. This program does not
include the capability of encoding the proper video format. The
message was received after the installation of the AVI2MPG addon was
installed.

2 - In the case of Nero 5.5 when I tried to create the VCD but not
SVCD with avi files as input using their wizard the following was
encountered: The CD was created with two files in avi format. When
the Cd was placed in the DVD player it reported there was no CD in the
drive. On my second try I was able to determine the steps with the
wizard as follows:
Data CD
New CD
Other formats
Video CD
Pick file(s)
Write Cd

I was able to view this CD in the DVD player. However, I did see a
detioration of the image. What can be done to boost the format.

In the case of the asf file format the following was encountered: The
program seemed to be able to encode the file. have not take one all
of the way.

However, whether avi or asf Nero does not seem to have the capability
for SVCD encoding.

3 - In the case of Roxio EZCD Creator6 when I tried to create the VCD
with the avi files as input as input the following was encountered:
This seemed beyond the capability of the program. Did i miss
something?

In the case of the asf format files the following was encountered:This
seemed beyond the capability of the program. Did i miss something?

Is there a program and procedure to go from either avi or asf to what
is needed to create a VCD or SVCD so that the Cd's can be burned to
run in the Toshiba DVD player model SD-K710?

TIA
Old September 1st 03, 12:34 PM
Camper

Download Tempenc and use it to convert the file to a compliant mpeg file.
The SVCD portion from memory only works for a month. I find it a great
program producing far better encoding results than say Nero.

Old September 1st 03, 07:35 PM
Isaac

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:51:06 GMT, John wrote:

Go to Circuit City or Compusa during a sale and buy the Apex. This
week Compusa I think is selling it again for $39. Cant beat Sears
though - theyve been selling it locally for $39 every week and even
went down to $34 this week after a small rebate.

Unfortunately, while the Apex players will handle SVCDs quite well,
I don't believe any of the newer models will handle VCDs at all.

Isaac