PCI RAID controller?

Old November 7th 03, 06:03 AM
@drian

Default PCI RAID controller?

Can anyone recommend a reliable, quick and feature-packed PCI RAID
controller for use with a pair of WD Raptor (WD360GD) drives? I cannot get
my Raptors to boot to Windows XP using a RAID 0 array with the ICH5-R on an
Intel 875PBZ motherboard.

Considering it refuses to boot the O.S., I've resorted to trying a PCI RAID
card instead. Using the M/B RAID controller, I get the message "A Disk
Error has Occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart". I've tried the XP
recovery console FIXBOOT & FIXMBR, all to no avail.

Thank you.

@drian.

Old November 7th 03, 03:06 PM
Wayne Morgan

Try the Adaptec 1210SA or 2410SA. The 2410SA will do RAID 5 as well.

--
Wayne Morgan
Microsoft Access MVP

Old November 7th 03, 07:19 PM
@drian

"Wayne Morgan" wrote in message
. com...
Try the Adaptec 1210SA or 2410SA. The 2410SA will do RAID 5 as well.

Funny you mention that Wayne, I just found the Adaptec 1210SA 25 minutes
ago! I like the look of it, plus, it has Linux support if I decide to
dualboot with Red Hat.

Many thanks.

@drian.

Old November 8th 03, 01:54 PM
Loan Shark

You're problem is probably not the onboard RAID controller, but the XP
drivers. Check out Intel's website for XP drivers for the RAID chipset on
your motherboard. Then when booting from the XP install disk, press "F6" to
indicate that you need to install other device drivers for a SCSI or RAID
device.

Old November 9th 03, 11:30 PM
@drian

"Loan Shark" NOSPAM wrote in message
You're problem is probably not the onboard RAID controller, but the XP
drivers. Check out Intel's website for XP drivers for the RAID chipset on
your motherboard. Then when booting from the XP install disk, press "F6"

indicate that you need to install other device drivers for a SCSI or RAID
device.

I have pressed F6 to install the Intel RAID drivers from floppy disk.

Two items point to a problem with the Intel RAID controller, by that I mean:

(a) Tried an Adaptec PCI card in RAID 0, it worked. Using the Intel RAID
controller for RAID 0, failed. This is following the exact same procedure
for installing XP on both occasions

(b) When using the Intel RAID controller, in RAID 1 mode, I noticed that
Port 0 on the M/B reported "Error Occurrd", evet after a brief first part
install of Windows XP. Granted, this is RAID 1, but still, its an error
I've never seen before, and even after switching cables going into the M/B,
the error still exists on Port 0 on the M/B

@drian.