Lost Hard Disk

Old October 8th 03, 03:39 PM
Robert Brown

Default Lost Hard Disk

I've just finished cleaning the 'Microsoft September Update' virus from my
PC. Due to this and an accumulation of 2+ years of junk on the hard disk I
decided to completely re-format the disk and re-install my WIN98SE OS and
all software.
When I tried to issue the 'FORMAT C: /s' command in a DOS mode it failed,
with a message 'not enough memory'. I checked the BIOS - there is no memory
problem, but neither is there a hard disk shown. My IBM ATA100 30GB disk
has vanished ! However WIN98 and all programs are still working just fine
!!
The main storage device is now shown as a Plextor CDRW ROM unit, and the
bootable devices show 'none' against IDE Hard Disk. I've tried flashing a
copy of V1008 BIOS in lieu of the existing copy of the same version - no
change.

Can anyone help find my lost drive ??

SYSTEM
Mainboard - ASUS A7V KT133 with embedded PROMISE ATA100 controller
Processor - Athlon Thunderbird 1GHZ
Memory - 256+128 MB PC133 DRAM
Guillimot Prophet II MX video
IBM 30GB Hard disk 2MB cache 7200RPM
Creative SB1024 audio
CDRW
DVD ROM
300W Athlon approved PSU

Old October 8th 03, 07:31 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:39:35 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Robert Brown"
wrote :

[...]

1st thing to try.
Pull power cord and clear CMOS.You cannot fully clear the BIOS on an
ATX powered system with power to the board.Then reset you BIOS
parameters.You may want to in the Standard section change form Auto to
User and press the enter key on all the drives to manually auto-detect
the drives parameters and save on exit.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old October 9th 03, 01:13 AM
JT

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:39:35 +0100, "Robert Brown"
wrote:

[...]

Your HDD will not show up in the BIOS setup screens because it is on the
Promise ATA 100 controller. This controller gets treated like a SCSI
controller by the motherboard. It has it's own setup for disk drives
attached to it.

Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 02:10 AM
lost data in my hard disk francesco General 1 September 11th 04 11:40 AM
Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 05:44 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM