Does video card have anything to do with overclocking?

Old October 24th 03, 08:34 PM
BuckeyeRed

Default Does video card have anything to do with overclocking?

Please forgive my stupid questions but I need help.
I am upgrading my ECS P4VMM motherboard and Intel p4 1.6
processor and going with the AMD 2500+ and the Biostar M7NCD PRO
motherboard, I do not have a video card to use so I need one that is
reasonable in price, I dont do games but I do a little video editing
from camcorder to pc but nothing major.
I dont know if the video card has anything to do with overclocking so
I thought I better check before I order something I wont be able to
use. One person recommended the matrox G550 but I found a couple of
posts saying they had problems getting the card to work in the M7NCD
PRO, plus that's more than I wanted to pay for a card.
Also I have two pc2100 256 sticks I would like to use in the above
configuration, will using this memory slow down the new system
drastically? Will it prevent me from being able to overclock?

Thanks
Tim

Remove SPAMPREVENTION from email address
Old October 25th 03, 06:15 AM
zmike6

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:34:33 -0400, BuckeyeRed
wrote:

[...]

On many (most? all?) motherboards, overclocking the front side bus
(FSB) will also overclock the video card, which has a possibility of
causing the video card to not work properly. I think some NForce2
boards may not have this problem because they can lock the PCI and AGP
frequency independently of the FSB. Usually other components like RAM
will show problems before the video card. The CPU you have selected,
a Barton 2500, is a good CPU but is configured to run with at least
PC2700 (333) ram. The RAM you have now is 266, and probably won't be
able to work properly with the 2500 even at "standard" non overclocked
settings. (Basically running your ram at 333 would be overclocking it
just to get it up to the speed of the CPU. It might work but don't
count on it.)

Old October 25th 03, 03:03 PM
nobody

"BuckeyeRed" wrote in
message ...
[...]

The M7NCD-Pro is a very good bargain overclocking board. I'd
suggest a midrange vid card in the Ati- nVidia lineup that fits
your budget. The bios allows you to lock the agp at 66MHz. The
ram will definately be your bottleneck but if you have some good
sticks and relax the timings you may reach 166fsb.