XP Home CD from Dell -- Activation Question

Old January 20th 04, 07:26 PM
Terry

Default XP Home CD from Dell -- Activation Question

Hi,

I got a system from Dell that came with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 CD. I
wiped out the hard drive, reformatted it and did a complete new
installtion using the XP Home CD from Dell. I was surprised that I wasn't
asked for the serial number during the new installation and it didn't ask
me to activate the product once the installation was complete.

I thought you have to provide a serial number during the installation. Is
this how things work these days? Thanks in advance for your help!

Terry
Old January 20th 04, 08:10 PM
WSZsr

If installed coreectly, it does not ask for the key. It checks the BIOS to
be sure it is a Dell.

Old January 20th 04, 09:44 PM
Patrick L Parks

Microsoft is not relaxing activiation, but the version of the OS that you
got with the machine is BIOS locked to that computer and is an OEM copy.
You do not have to activate that copy as it has been activated already.

You cannot install this particular copy on another computer, for example and
HP.
"Terry" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"WSZsr" wrote in message
If installed coreectly, it does not ask for the key. It checks the

BIOS
be sure it is a Dell.

It did ask for activation after the installation. Never asked for a
product key. Are they relaxing the activation policy?

Old January 20th 04, 10:39 PM
WSZsr

Only if you boot from the XP CD and install from there.