What Am I Doing Wrong -- Dell Drivers

Old January 1st 05, 08:54 AM
JLP20

Default What Am I Doing Wrong -- Dell Drivers

Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is being
run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen. I have
the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I can not
access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site and
downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old January 1st 05, 10:48 AM
Yetunde Sobowale

"JLP20" wrote in message
Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is
being
run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen. I
have
the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I can
not
access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site
and
downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

default driver for what? monitor or video card?

Old January 1st 05, 11:06 AM
HillBillyBuddhist

"JLP20" wrote in message
| Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is
being
| run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen. I
have
| the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I can
not
| access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site
and
| downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
| through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
| "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA display
driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve the
problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.

If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display adapter
which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old January 1st 05, 12:37 PM
Fixer

Hang on before you do anything else you must install the chipset drivers for
this machine, that are on your resource CD, then reboot the machines and
then install all other required drivers including the video graphics adaptor
driver
"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote in
message ...

Old January 1st 05, 05:54 PM
Ben Myers

As a general rule for any Windows machine, if the motherboard chipset drivers
are not part of the Windows install CD, they are the FIRST to be installed after
Windows itself is installed booted up and running... Ben Myers

Old January 2nd 05, 12:03 AM
Fixer

I thought thats what I'd said???

Old January 2nd 05, 04:05 AM
SlickestWilly

how do you know if they are part of the Windows install or not? won't xp
identify and install software for just about all of the chipsets out there?

"JLP20" wrote in message
| Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor

is
being
| run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the

screen.
have
| the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included,

can
not
| access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver

site
and
| downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but

going
| through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the

default.
| "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot"

JLP20

My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA

display
driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve

the
problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.

If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display

adapter
which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions

or

Old January 2nd 05, 09:39 PM
Ben Myers

Neither XP nor any other version of Windows can be depended upon to install
motherboard chipset drivers. The least popular chipsets are dropped from the
Windows CD. To put it more aptly, the major chipset manufacturers (not just
IDE/ATAPI controllers, but also video, audio, network, modem, printers,
scanners, etc) pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of having drivers on a CD with
limited capacity. You see, Micro$oft collects $$$ from everyone. Bill Gates
will let you whitewash his fence for a fee, too. Some of the XP drivers, like
Linux did previously, are generalized enough to work at least minimally with any
chipset.

Earlier versions of Windows, notably 95 and 98, have even more dire consequences
if the IDE/ATAPI controller drivers are not installed. Very simply, the CD-ROM
drive becomes inaccessable, and one has to resort to using DOS mode CD-ROM
drivers temporarily to load up any drivers from CDs.

After installing Windows, XP or any other, look at the list of hardware
installed in the Device Manager. If there are yellow exclamation points,
something is not installed. If the IDE disk controller is shown as something
generic like "IDE Controller", chances are the chipset drivers are missing.

.... Ben Myers

Old January 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Chopperdad

Ben you bring up something that I wondered about too with the yellow
exclamation marks. On my Dell 8300, I've noticed that the driver for my PCI
Controller has a yellow exclamation mark next to it, but the Dell Resource
Disk doesn't have the drivers it seems to need since I have tried to install
them from there. Would the Windows XP disc have the drivers, since I didn't
think of trying to install from there?

Ron