A7V266-MX mobo refuses to detect hardware lock on printer port

Old February 6th 04, 06:22 PM

Default A7V266-MX mobo refuses to detect hardware lock on printer port

I a using a Asus A7V266-MX mother board with an Athalon 2400+ AMD
processor, I have a strange problem. For one of my softwares I have
been given a hardware lock which is plugged to my Parallel port
(Printer port) and only if the hardware lock is plugged in the
software works, it means the software searches for the lock on the
printer port and proceeds to work, the system fails to software work
and its not able to find the hardware lock, its a brand new mother
board with the processor and the printer port works perfectly well
when a printer is connected to it. I believe there is some IRQ setting
that is required , i've also tried to set the parallel port IRQ to
IRQ7 which is normally assigned to parallel port but that too dosent
work. Can some on help me out this problem . Thanks for reading this.

Rajesh

VU2RPS
emailto
Old February 10th 04, 02:26 AM

(Paul) wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Check with the dongle manufacturer, to see if a particular parallel
port mode is required. Try a groups.google.com search on
"dongle parallel port mode".

HTH,
Paul

This dongle manufacturer is no more in existance and I am on my own, I
tried the groups.google.com search on "dongle parallel port mode". and
as per their suggestion I had to config the bios parallel port to
"Normal mode" and no luck here too. I have emaild ASUS support chaps
hope to get some help from them . In the meanwhile I am still looking
into groups for help. Thanks again

Rajesh VU2RPS
Old February 11th 04, 07:49 PM

wrote in message . com...
(Paul) wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,

I have installed a new parallel port pci card to the system and in the
bios I have disabled the onboard parallel port, even then the sysyem
refuses to detect the dongle ,the result is the same even after
enabling the onboard parallal port. The catalogue that came with the
additional PCI card that the card should be IRQ 10 but I am unaware as
to where do I do this setting, during installation of the pci card it
never did ask me to specify any IRQ settings. Could you or anyone who
is aware of this , please help me out in this situation . Thanks
Rajesh
Old February 14th 04, 09:43 AM
Paul

In article ,
wrote:

wrote in message
. com...
(Paul) wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

If you look in the manual, there is a BIOS page called "IRQ Resources"
and it can be used to reserve an IRQ. But I'm not sure that is
necessary, as the BIOS could just as easily assign an IRQ for you.

Can you test the parallel port with some other device ?

When I looked in Google to try to answer your question originally,
I saw some mention of dongles burning out, so maybe this
dongle has quit on you. If the parallel ports (either the original
one or the new PCI card one) are tested as working with a printer
or some other device, that may indicate that the dongle is no longer
working.

I find the mention of dongles burning out to be a little strange.
Maybe they have a fuse on them inside ? If the construction of
the dongle is monolithic (potted to prevent reverse engineering),
it may not be possible to determine anything about the circuitry
inside.

HTH,
Paul