IDE connector extraction tool

Old March 28th 06, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default IDE connector extraction tool

Is there any tool for extracting IDE connectors?
Julian

Old March 28th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:52:44 +0100, "Julian" wrote:

Is there any tool for extracting IDE connectors?
Julian

What exactly are you looking to extract?

An IDE drive has a 4 pin (often referred to as a Molex, even
though Molex makes quite a few different connectors) power
connector with pins that are permanently fixed in the
plastic, usually spanning the entire rear of the drive.

The (40) data pins and jumper pins are also permanently
fixed in the plastic and the entire assembly is soldered
onto the circuit board as a whole.

Due to this, I suspect you don't want to extract IDE
connectors at all but rather to extract the contacts in the
power supply's harness connectors? If so, a pin extractor
is available at many electronics houses or computer shops
that carry customizing modifications. For example,
http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/molexextractor.html
Old March 29th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Julian wrote:
Is there any tool for extracting IDE connectors?
Julian

Do you mean a tool for removing the ribbon cable's connector from the
drive's connector? If so, the answer is "probably not" since the
connectors nest together so well. The answer is to use top-quality IDE
ribbon cables which have a pull tab or flap on each connector to aid one
in removal.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old March 29th 06, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

I was reffering to the 40 pin connector. I was wondering if there's a tool
to extract it from the HDD 40 pin socket. I have seen lots of tools for
Molex connectors or IC, but not for a 40 pin connector which sometimes gets
so stuck.
Julian

Old March 29th 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:56:38 +0100, "Julian" wrote:

I was reffering to the 40 pin connector. I was wondering if there's a tool
to extract it from the HDD 40 pin socket. I have seen lots of tools for
Molex connectors or IC, but not for a 40 pin connector which sometimes gets
so stuck.
Julian

Dont' think so, where would it grip the connector?

They don't usually get stuck enough that it's difficult to
remove by firmly (and evenly) grasping the cable and pulling
backwards. If this technique doesn't work then perhaps your
cables have a out of spec connector and should be replaced?
Some cables have a second plastic rail creating a slot with
a coated paper or plastic ribbon material, a sort-of handle
to pull on instead of pulling on the data cable itself.