problems with D915PCY front panel audio

Old January 23rd 05, 11:07 PM
Johan Kütt

Default problems with D915PCY front panel audio

when I connect an audio device to either of the front panel audio
connectors, the realtek audio wizard won't detect them (autodetect is
enabled and back panel works fine). When I set the connected devices
manually, the settings will remain until next restart.

already tried intel support, but didn't get any reasonable answer from
them (only that I should try to reinstall the software which I had
already tried).

Intel D915PCY
P4 3.2
512M RAM
NVidia GForce PCX5750
XP pro SP2

Latest drivers from intel's site installed

Johan

Old February 22nd 05, 04:10 AM
Olav the Viking

Johan K=FCtt wrote:
when I connect an audio device to either of the front panel audio
connectors, the realtek audio wizard won't detect them (autodetect is

enabled and back panel works fine). When I set the connected devices
manually, the settings will remain until next restart.

already tried intel support, but didn't get any reasonable answer

from
them (only that I should try to reinstall the software which I had
already tried).

Intel D915PCY
P4 3.2
512M RAM
NVidia GForce PCX5750
XP pro SP2

Latest drivers from intel's site installed

Johan

I have an Intel D925XECV2 Mobo. I ohmed-out the Intel front panel
audio mic and phones jacks so that I could find the corresponding
connections for my Silverstone Temjin 6 case front panel audio jacks
which are conveniently situated on the lower left side of the case. I
could not get the Realtek AW to detect the frontpanel mic or phones
when they were plugged in, but it appears like they work OK. I then
took the unused Intel audio front panel and swapped it in - auto-detect
then worked. Disassembled the audio panel, and measurements indicate
that there is an additional contact within the Intel audio jacks that
is shorted when an audio plug is inserted. Sense_send (Pin 7) is common
to both jacks, Sense1_Ret (Pin 6 - Mic) and Sense2_Ret (Pin 10 - Phone)
each short to pin 7 when an audio plug is inserted. I haven't decided
if I want to go to the trouble of retrofitting auto-detect jacks into
my case yet. The jacks are made by Foxconn.
While I was typing this, I stumbled upon the documentation from
Intel that tells the whole story: (Intel Front Panel IO Connectivity
Design Guide, P/N: A29286-004), URL:
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...5CA2928604.pdf. Sure
would have been nice to have that early in the game. Intel does
document everything, but it does take some searching to find it. I
spent a week looking for info on 4-wire pulse width modulated
motherboard fan control. If Intel had even mentioned that the fan
control WAS PWM in their MOBO product guide, I would have found it
quickly. Such is life. . .