Dell Powervault Error (?) message

Old June 25th 04, 05:16 AM
Will Dormann

Peter Hucker wrote:

Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need
any software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the
loader requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for
it yet so I can't test anything).

Sorry. I haven't worked with this drive, so I haven't a clue.

-WD
Old June 25th 04, 05:22 AM
Peter Hucker

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:16:47 GMT, Will Dormann wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need
any software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the
loader requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for
it yet so I can't test anything).

Sorry. I haven't worked with this drive, so I haven't a clue.

I shall play around with it. It has an auto setting which I think will change tapes sequentially itself when the drive ejects (which backup software should do when a tape becomes full).

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Old June 25th 04, 04:39 PM
Johnson_dk

Nope, Backup Exec(or most other prof. Backup appications) will handle
everything i, just remember to assign the loader a lower SCSI ID than the
drive, then every think works fine (it sometimes works without, but if you
do this there shuld be no prob. )

Best regards

Johnny

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need any

software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the loader
requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for it yet so
I can't test anything).

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:23:40 +0200, Johnson_dk

wrote:

This is an OEM version of the ADIC FasrStore 7, you can download the
dokumentation from he

http://www.adic.com/adicSupportShell...supportManuals

Best Regards

Johnny

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:57:34 GMT, Will Dormann
wrote:

Yes, CT is for Cleaning Tape. But Google could have told you

that.

I spent 20 minutes trying to find it on google. CT is too small to

be
any use - the closest I got was a load of tape drivs with CT in the

name.

Click and learn, grasshopper
http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell%...lt%20120T%20ct

Well I tried all sorts of combinations, I guess you were lucky. CT is

the
model of a drive.

Most stuff is easy to find, it's the odd thing google just gives

complete
irrelevant tripe.

By the way, do you know if it's ok for the actual drive to make

weird
noises (like the motor is pushing against the end of a track, but

not
crunching or slipping) while it is calibrating? There is no error
message as such. It sounds like an inkjet printer if the heads get
jammed on a bit of paper, or it thinks they are somewhere they

aren't,
and runs them into the end.

Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor...ug/trouble.htm

Now how the hell did you find that? I went all over dell's site, and

couldn't find anything except a couple of little diagrams and some

specs.
I'd love a manual for it, and software if required for the loader? I'm
assuming the tape drive is a tape drive, but the loader will need

special
software? Looks like I have to pay Dell? I even tried phoning them

wanting
to buy a manual and software, but I got cut off! Cheapy phone systems

like
BT use. Get transferred to thin air. Although from the diagnostics

page
you produced, it looks like I can put it into sequential mode, and it

would
just use all 7 (or 6 if I use the autoclean thing) tapes automatically

as
they fill up.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the

wall.

Old June 25th 04, 06:09 PM
Peter Hucker

Thanks.

I can't believe this - the simplest of things - noone makes HVD terminators?!?!?!?

wrote:

[...]

Hamster and shredder combined make messy floor.
Old June 26th 04, 02:50 PM
Johnson_dk

If you cant find them, you can always purchase the from IBM, but im sure
they are pretty expensive there.

Old June 26th 04, 10:53 PM
Peter Hucker

Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

wrote:

Nope, Backup Exec(or most other prof. Backup appications) will handle
everything i, just remember to assign the loader a lower SCSI ID than

the
drive, then every think works fine (it sometimes works without, but if

you
do this there shuld be no prob. )

Best regards

Johnny

news Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need

wrote:

[...]

Lemon entry my dear Watson.
Old June 28th 04, 06:31 PM
chrisv

"Peter Hucker" wrote:

Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?

Old June 28th 04, 09:43 PM
Peter Hucker

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:31:28 -0500, chrisv wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote:

Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?

Ever considered getting a monitor big enough?

And I ain't a top poster, I'm a "same as the last method" poster, it creates less mess.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a watercooled dual 3.2GHz silent Athlon with 512GB of watercooled Raid.

Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?
Old June 29th 04, 01:45 AM
chrisv

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:43:05 +0100, Peter Hucker wrote:

chrisv wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote:

Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?

Ever considered getting a monitor big enough?

That's not the problem.

And I ain't a top poster, I'm a "same as the last method" poster, it
creates less mess.

Interesting that you claim to be concerned about mess, but won't trim you
posts of mangled and redundant crap.

Old June 29th 04, 05:31 AM
Peter Hucker

chrisv wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote:

Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?

Ever considered getting a monitor big enough?

That's not the problem.

Yes it is. Look fine from here. If it falls of YOUR screen, YOU trim it.

And I ain't a top poster, I'm a "same as the last method" poster, it
creates less mess.

Interesting that you claim to be concerned about mess,

WHAT? I have 13 parrots and am quite used to mess.

but won't trim you posts of mangled and redundant crap.

I do trim. Opera has been set to auto trim at level 5 quote. And if things fall off the end of my screen, I manually snip older stuff.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a watercooled dual 3.2GHz silent Athlon with 512GB of watercooled Raid.

Caution: Always engage brain before operating mouth.

Dell Hardware Swap/Add Capability? WillW General 41 June 30th 04 04:13 PM
P2 400 MHz, Dell Optiplex - question(s) Big Mac General 3 May 23rd 04 05:57 AM
Dell PC.. Claus Christensen General 2 July 28th 03 03:32 AM
Power problems on Dell thing Zilog Jones General 8 July 23rd 03 06:16 PM
New HD in Dell Dimension 4300? Leif K-Brooks General 2 July 3rd 03 05:23 AM