HAUPPAUGE 150 WINPVR --Almost Perfect

Old April 30th 06, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

Default HAUPPAUGE 150 WINPVR --Almost Perfect

"asdf" wrote in message ...
sorry to be such a bother but i have another issue here. I was under the
impression that this card
will do all the work during the recording so that my cpu can run at full
power.
However during recording now i can see that wintc2k takes about at least 20%
of CPU
time and sometimes more--upto 40%. Is ther any setting that i need to change
so that TV card
does all the work.

Thank you very much for your help

Alpha's answers are correct. A certain amount of cpu time will be taken
by a video capture card, regardless of which card (or capture program)
you use.

There are a few tweaks for the Hauppauge card that can reduce the
amount of cpu time it takes, during both display and capture. If you
want a list of these I'll post them here.

Old April 30th 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:35:57 GMT, "John"
wrote:

There are a few tweaks for the Hauppauge card that can reduce the
amount of cpu time it takes, during both display and capture. If you
want a list of these I'll post them here.

Can the card be used to record 2 different TV programs at the same
time from the same conventional TV antenna feed?

--

"A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
It keeps him upright."
Old April 30th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

wrote:

There are a few tweaks for the Hauppauge card that can reduce the
amount of cpu time it takes, during both display and capture. If you
want a list of these I'll post them here.

Can the card be used to record 2 different TV programs at the same
time from the same conventional TV antenna feed?

The PVR-500 has dual tuners and can do that.

Old April 30th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:34:11 GMT, "John"
wrote:

Can the card be used to record 2 different TV programs at the same
time from the same conventional TV antenna feed?

The PVR-500 has dual tuners and can do that.

Why doesn't it say so explicitly?

"Watch one channel while recording another with the WinTV-PVR-500MCE"

I do not need a TV card to watch a show - all I have to do is pass the
antenna signal on to the TV set and let it do the tuning for the show
I want to watch.

I want to be able to record 2 different TV programs at the same time
independent of whatever I am watching on TV.

Old April 30th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

wrote:

Can the card be used to record 2 different TV programs at the same
time from the same conventional TV antenna feed?

The PVR-500 has dual tuners and can do that.

Why doesn't it say so explicitly?

"Watch one channel while recording another with the WinTV-PVR-500MCE"

I do not need a TV card to watch a show - all I have to do is pass the
antenna signal on to the TV set and let it do the tuning for the show
I want to watch.

I want to be able to record 2 different TV programs at the same time
independent of whatever I am watching on TV.

--

"A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
It keeps him upright."
-Robert Heinlein

There is a third party program for PVR using the 500 MCE that does exactly
what you want...in fact you can install several cards and record 4-6
channels at once. Try a Goggle.

Old April 30th 06, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

wrote:

Can the card be used to record 2 different TV programs at the same
time from the same conventional TV antenna feed?

The PVR-500 has dual tuners and can do that.

Why doesn't it say so explicitly?

"Watch one channel while recording another with the WinTV-PVR-500MCE"

I do not need a TV card to watch a show - all I have to do is pass the
antenna signal on to the TV set and let it do the tuning for the show
I want to watch.

I want to be able to record 2 different TV programs at the same time
independent of whatever I am watching on TV.

There is a third party program for PVR using the 500 MCE that does exactly
what you want...in fact you can install several cards and record 4-6
channels at once. Try a Goggle.

whooo hoo 6 channels of utter nonsence to record...............and watch
later.. does it have a commercial editor?

Old May 1st 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

wrote:

There are a few tweaks for the Hauppauge card that can reduce the
amount of cpu time it takes, during both display and capture. If you
want a list of these I'll post them here.

Can the card be used to record 2 different TV programs at the same
time from the same conventional TV antenna feed?

The PVR-500 has dual tuners and can do that.

How about installing a second PVR150 card and using a splitter on the
TV antenna feed in order to connect the TV antenna to both cards?

Either will work. The PVR-500 is just two PVR-150's on one card.

Old May 1st 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

sure that would be great. Also noticed that sometimes there is a two second
delay that occurs between audio and video. Any way of fixing that?
Have the latest drivers installed from happauge website. Can't install beta
versions as they blue screen my system.

"John" wrote in message
link.net...

Old May 1st 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop

"asdf" wrote in message ...
sure that would be great. Also noticed that sometimes there is a two second
delay that occurs between audio and video. Any way of fixing that?

Can you be more specific about when it's happening? Is the video
skipping first, and then the lag starts? Is the problem always on some
channels but not others?

As far as CPU usage, I've copied the tweak file I've been compiling for
my PVR-150 into this message. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see a
few things that might help.

Hauppauge Driver versions:

It is recommended that you use the drivers that came on your product's
CD. If you want to install the most current drivers (as of 4/20/06) then
follow this procedu

1. Download and run HCWCLEAR.EXE (to completely remove old drivers).

2. Reboot. Cancel the "Add Hardware Wizard" in Windows when it appears.

3. Run PVR150_23348_WHQL\HcwDriverInstall.exe (Base driver)

4. Run pvr150_22_23257.exe (Middleware driver)

5. Run wintv2K411_23347.exe (WinTV2000 application)

6. Run hcwsmd05_23290.exe (Hauppauge MPEG video/audio decoders)

7. Run ir32_245_22350.exe (Infrared remote control utility)

8. Run sched21_23102.exe (Scheduled capture utility)

9. Run pvr150_500_basedriver_2043_24103.exe (Yes, that's correct --
install this updated "base driver" LAST.)

----

Basic Hauppauge Tweaks and Fixes

Fix no-audio and/or no-color on some channels:

1. Start WinTV2000. Click on Menu/Configure/Channels/Suite Manager.
Click once on each channel that you're having problems with, and
click Edit. Turn off AFT and manually fine tune the channel until
it is received properly.

Improve TV display quality (registry edit)

1. Start WinTV2000. Click on Pref/Movies and set the Quality Level
to "DVD Standard Play". Click OK to exit. Exit WinTV2000.

2. Run REGEDIT, navigate to:
HKLM\Software\Hauppauge\HcwTVWnd\SagHarbor.
Set Use_LiveTVConfig to 0 (zero). Exit REGEDIT. Restart WinTV2000.
After this change is made, WinTV2000 will display TV in whichever
Display Quality is selected. For most cableTV and satellite systems,
anything better than "DVD Standard Play" is overkill and will not
result in improved display quality.

Speed up channel changes in WinTV2000 (registry edit)

1. Run REGEDIT, navigate to HKLM\Software\Hauppauge\HcwTVWnd. Set
LivePreview to 1. Exit REGEDIT and start or restart WinTV2000.

NOTE: This change causes WinTV2000 to display the TV signal
before it hits the PVR-150's Conexant MPEG2 encoder. Because
of interlacing, this may result in slight display quality degradation when
output is viewed on PC monitors (e.g. lines being seen around objects
during fast moving scenes. To avoid this issue, instead of applying this
registry edit, use another TV display/capture program (such as the
excellent DScaler), which will give you both faster channel changes
AND a clear picture. The tradeoff is, you won't be able to record
direct to MPEG format using Hauppauge's MPEG encoder with these
other programs. If FFDSHOW is installed, you can use DScaler,
TMPGEnc etc. with the PVR-150 to capture to uncompressed AVI
format. This takes a lot of PC horsepower as well as lots of disk space.

Reduce CPU usage during display and capture

WinTV2000:

-- Insure WinTV2000 is running in Overlay mode and not Primary mode.
In WinTV2000, go to Menu/Help/About WinTV/Status. It should say,
"Surface: Overlay". If it says "Surface: Primary", the overlay window of
your graphics card is not working properly. Try updating your video card
drivers and/or motherboard chipset drivers.

-- Setting LivePreview to 1 as explained above will reduce CPU usage
by half or more on many systems.

-- If you're running antivirus software (Norton, McAfee etc.), add
WinTV2000's record directory (default is C:\MyVideos) to the Excluded
Folders or Exlusions list in your antivirus software options.

-- If FFDSHOW is installed, try uninstalling it. FFDSHOW may cause
WinTV2000 (and other capture software) to use DirectShow filters
instead of Hauppauge's built-in filters, which can cause increased
CPU usage.

-- Depending on your system, changing two registry entries may
decrease CPU usage signigicantly with Hauppauge cards. It may also
degrade image quality. In Windows, run REGEDIT and navigate to:
HKLM\Software\IviSDK4Hauppauge\Common\VideoDec
Set both "Dxva" and "Hwmc" to 1 (one). Reboot after making these
changes, and see if it decreases CPU usage in WinTV2000. If it
doesn't, change these two registry entries back to 0 (zero).

MythTV:

-- Turn off motion compensation

DScaler:

-- Turn off Judder Terminator

-- Select "Keep CPU for other applications" in general options

-- Try different deinterlacing modes;

Hauppauge PVR 350 weirdie johns Homebuilt PC's 0 April 14th 06 05:49 PM
What scanner resolution is needed to get a perfect duplicate? dlizzie Scanners 1 February 18th 06 04:20 AM
Abit BH7 and Hauppauge WinTV Express issue Bolooser10 General 6 January 23rd 06 11:26 PM
Printer Perfect ~~NoMad~~ Printers 3 January 17th 06 11:28 AM
PVR card with hardware mpeg2 compression - Hauppauge 150 Amazon $66 [email protected] General 0 February 3rd 05 09:51 AM