How do I remove the heatsink on a Creative Ti4400?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 8th 03, 06:38 PM
Andrew Lee

Default How do I remove the heatsink on a Creative Ti4400?

Cheers for that John, I've just gone and ordered the Zalman cooler. Just one
other question - how do I clean up the chip when I've removed the heatsink?
Is there anything in particular I should use?

Andy.

"John Smith" wrote in message
I had the same thing on my Geforce 4460MX. If you look at the bottom of

the
black clip it has a little - tiny in fact - end which can be squeezed
together.

If you squeeze these together - your fingers will do it but pilers can be
safer and easier - and then push gently upwards they will suddenly fly out
with some force.

Be careful, when I say they fly out they fly out at speed and the first

time
I did this I was very glad that the clips were facing away from my face as

think they could cause a nasty injury to eyes and bits and pieces so be
warned. They are spring loaded.

Once you have them out it is very easy to see how they work, to pop them
back in and out but that first time it looks as if they are permanently
attached to the board.

Once the pins/clips are removed you need to carefully wriggle your fan. I
had to twist mine and ended up using quite some force to pull the fan off
the chip as it was stuck on strongly. Clean up the chip, apply some

thermal
grease and attach the Zalman cooler. Putting a Zalman VGA and Zalman 7000
CPU cooler in my PC were the best investments I have ever made.

J.

"Andrew Lee" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I've just bought and fitted a Zalman Flower Cooler and 300W Silent PSU

for
my Athlon XP system. They've cut down on a fair bit of system noise, but
now, all I can hear is the whoosh of my Creative Geforce4 Ti4400 card,

and
it's already driving me nuts.

I haven't got the money for a new card (the Creative's only a year old
anyway), so what I'd like to do is get a Zalman ZM80A-HP silent heat

pipe
cooler for the card. The thing is, I can't work out how to remove the
existing Creative heatsink from the card - it's fastened onto the card

with
these two black 'pins' (for want of a better word) with not a screw in
sight. How do I remove the heatsink, assuming it is possible in the

first
place?

And once the heatsink has been removed, is the ZM80A actually compatible
with the Creative card? I'd be grateful if anyone with experience of
combining the two could give me a few pointers in the right direction.
Cheers.

Andy.