Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (notfuture-proof, no 10 GBe)

Old July 17th 19, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

Char Jackson wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:32:34 -0400, Larc wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 03:36:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

| I saw a similar argument in another forum - people yelling that that
| it should jump 10x
| But what happens above 10Gbe? You get 25, 40, 50, 100, 200....
| And everything else (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk) has gradual improvements.

How much real world need is there for 10GbE in homes yet? It might be good for
bragging rights, but little more at least until ISPs get there.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but LAN speed has always been far more
important to me than WAN speed. I'm currently rewiring my house with
Cat6a so that I can take advantage of 10GbE.

For me, my interest lies in raising the speed of the PHY
layer, so all the other "vulture features" will throttle
the connection less.

I find some (but not all) of my Win10 connections, run at
50% link. If I could raise the PHY 10x, then the "50% tax"
would not bother me so much.

Some of the performance issues, appear to be driver level,
like my usage of VMs might have something to do with the
lousy network performance. On this machine, pushing
files towards the machine only runs at 20% link rate.

If we have to "live with taxation", then raising the
PHY "a lot" is going to help.

Paul

Old July 17th 19, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 17:09:36 -0400, Paul wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:32:34 -0400, Larc wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 03:36:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

| I saw a similar argument in another forum - people yelling that that
| it should jump 10x
| But what happens above 10Gbe? You get 25, 40, 50, 100, 200....
| And everything else (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk) has gradual improvements.

How much real world need is there for 10GbE in homes yet? It might be good for
bragging rights, but little more at least until ISPs get there.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but LAN speed has always been far more
important to me than WAN speed. I'm currently rewiring my house with
Cat6a so that I can take advantage of 10GbE.

For me, my interest lies in raising the speed of the PHY
layer, so all the other "vulture features" will throttle
the connection less.

I find some (but not all) of my Win10 connections, run at
50% link. If I could raise the PHY 10x, then the "50% tax"
would not bother me so much.

Some of the performance issues, appear to be driver level,
like my usage of VMs might have something to do with the
lousy network performance. On this machine, pushing
files towards the machine only runs at 20% link rate.

If we have to "live with taxation", then raising the
PHY "a lot" is going to help.

I also see quite a bit of variability on the Win 10 installations here.
Win 7/8 (VMs) are fine, XP (VM) is generally slower than either of
those, and Win 10 (one physical, multiple VMs) is all over the board,
sometimes at full speed and other times much slower. My conclusion is
that Win 10 is in charge, not me, and it'll give me only what's left
after it takes care of itself.