? on SATA drives, IDE interfaces

Old December 28th 12, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave[_39_]

Default ? on SATA drives, IDE interfaces

Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any* help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Old December 28th 12, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 12/27/2012 6:52 PM, Dave wrote:
Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any* help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I can't see any way that would be possible unless you can find an IDE-SATA
converter and your computer maker somehow allowed a little extra space (not
bloody likely). Such adapters exist for desktop-size drives but I've never
seen anything that would fit into a notebook. There _are_ adapters that fit
onto 2.5" drives but only for larger-than-notebook systems.
Old December 28th 12, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave[_39_]

"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 12/27/2012 6:52 PM, Dave wrote:
Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any* help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I can't see any way that would be possible unless you can find an
IDE-SATA converter and your computer maker somehow allowed a little extra
space (not bloody likely). Such adapters exist for desktop-size drives but
I've never seen anything that would fit into a notebook. There _are_
adapters that fit onto 2.5" drives but only for larger-than-notebook
systems.

Aaah. As I feared... Okay, well I'll just have to find an IDE hard drive
to upgrade to, or learn to live within the space I have. Thanks.

Dave

Old December 28th 12, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Anssi Saari

"Dave" writes:

Aaah. As I feared... Okay, well I'll just have to find an IDE hard drive
to upgrade to, or learn to live within the space I have. Thanks.

Apparently the T43 is also picky about the specific drive type. You'll
get an "Error 2010" warning during every boot if you put in some random
drive. Workarounds are getting an approved drive or using an unofficial
BIOS. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...Pad_hard_disks
has the details.

Old December 28th 12, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_4_]

On 12/27/2012 06:21 PM, Dave wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 12/27/2012 6:52 PM, Dave wrote:
Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any* help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I can't see any way that would be possible unless you can find an
IDE-SATA converter and your computer maker somehow allowed a little extra
space (not bloody likely). Such adapters exist for desktop-size drives but
I've never seen anything that would fit into a notebook. There _are_
adapters that fit onto 2.5" drives but only for larger-than-notebook
systems.

Aaah. As I feared... Okay, well I'll just have to find an IDE hard drive
to upgrade to, or learn to live within the space I have. Thanks.

Dave

A PCI to SATA adapter board is about $15,
I'd get the adapter and an SATA drive

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
Old December 29th 12, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is not finding an adapter. The problem is finding an adapter
that will fit inside of a notebook computer. Although there are adapters
made to fit on the back of 2.5" drives available for $10, the extra
thickness is not going to work in a super-tight space.
Old December 29th 12, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_4_]

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, I missed that point.

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
Old January 15th 13, 12:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave wrote:
Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any* help
is appreciated.

Hi Dave. Are you handy with a soldering iron? Check out the page below:

http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=5

The T43 was natively SATA but IBM fitted a 'bridge-chip' so it would take
IDE drives. All you have to do is remove the chip, get a SATA socket and
solder the wires to the right place on the motherboard. Easy! g
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old January 23rd 13, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave[_39_]

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave wrote:
Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any* help
is appreciated.

Hi Dave. Are you handy with a soldering iron? Check out the page below:

http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=5

The T43 was natively SATA but IBM fitted a 'bridge-chip' so it would take
IDE drives. All you have to do is remove the chip, get a SATA socket and
solder the wires to the right place on the motherboard. Easy! g
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

OH GOD! This is incredible. Thank you. I may do this.

And I LOVE your sig line.

Dave

Using SATA drives with IDE Bruce Whealton Homebuilt PC's 25 June 25th 07 06:05 PM
using both SATA and IDE drives and booting from SATA HamNCheese Storage (alternative) 5 April 10th 07 04:20 AM
SATA Interfaces Jamie Homebuilt PC's 2 February 14th 07 05:01 PM
Can I run IDE Drives and SATA Drives Together? [email protected] Asus Motherboards 14 January 6th 05 05:17 PM
How good are SATA drives compared to IDE drives? Dunny Rummy General 1 February 12th 04 09:03 PM