Old January 21st 05, 05:54 PM
paul johnson

Default "3 pipe problem"

Hi,

I have a problem with the cpu intermittently running 98% on
"System"(according to task manager in processes)

I am running:
windows XP (service pack 2,) Athalon 2100, with 768 ram.

A few weeks ago my well behaved system started to freeze, sometimes
hanging on close down. I have now tried the User Profile Hive Cleaner
but to no avail. The only symptoms I could find is that just before a
hang the "task manager" showed CPU usage on "System" at 98%, (This is
just above system idle in processes.) The other strange thing is that
some times the computer would restart itself after shutting down.

I took the PC to a shop, but they could find nothing wrong, and did
component tests on all the hardware which it passed. They suggested a
windows repair, which I did my self - however the problem is still there!

I have started to disconnect most of the items connected to the PC but
still the problem persists. I have also scanned for virus, and adware
programs.

Thanks for reading this, and if you can offer a suggestion, thanks
again. Paul