Old October 9th 04, 03:28 PM
J. Clarke

Jim Bancroft wrote:

I'm debating whether I should buy a PCI Express motherboard (and new
graphics card), or upgrade to an AGP motherboard and stick with my FX5700
for a bit.

I'd be happy with PCI Express, except I'd also like an Athlon 64
processor, and there don't seem to be any AMD/PCI Express motherboards out
yet, nor
will there be any until Q1 2005 I hear. On the other hand, if I buy an
AGP motherboard and decide to upgrade my card in a year, will Nvidia have
stopped making AGP cards by then? Does anyone know what Nvidia's plans
are
for AGP the next year or two? Thanks for the advice and any discussion.

You won't find any Athlon 64 PCI Express machines until the Nforce 4 chipset
ships.

Personally I'd hold off on PCI Express until the second generation of PCI
Express hardware ships--bound to be bugs in the first generation. It's
unlikely in the extreme that nvidia will cease to produce AGP hardware in
the next year or so.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)