Old January 22nd 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default Bios Setup Utility Issue

Carl,

Replace the C2032 3v CMOS battery, especially if you have never done so before.
If that does the trick, you're home free.

Check and double-check that jumper setting. Older P2 and P3 Intel boards have
three jumper settings for the BIOS:

Configure mode - to configure processor speed
BIOS recovery mode - to recover from a damaged or corrupted BIOS
Normal mode - the way the computer BIOS normally operates

The jumper needs to be set in normal mode for almost everything you would do,
including updating (flashing) the BIOS... Ben Myers

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:42:04 -0500, Carl Lucas wrote:

My 6 year old Gateway keeps booting to the BIOS Setup Utility screen.
When I save and exit I keep getting: "Jumper must be returned to normal
posistion for settings ro take effect. It is safe to turn the system off
now." I turn off the computer and then start it up again with the same
result.

I have researched the problem and have downloaded the BIOS from Gateway
and copied to a floppy. I have removed the jumper so the machine loads
from the diskette. I have waited and then replaced the jumper. I keep
getting the same result, i.e., the BIOS Utility setup.

Any ideas?