Old October 20th 15, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.windows7.general
Bob F

Default GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 USB 3.0 port will not open USB 2.0 storage devices

Paul wrote:
Bob F wrote:
I have just assembled a Windows 7 PC using a I5-2500K processor,
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 motherboard, 4GB of RAM and a 250 GB Seagate HD.
Drivers were downloaded from the Gigabyte site and installed after
the windows installation. Everything seems to be working EXCEPT:

When I connect to the USB 3.0 ports a Sandisk Cruzerblade 4GB USB
flash drive, an older .5GB Sandisk USB flash, A Seagate 1.5GB USB,
or an older 250 GB Maxtor USB drive, the device is not properly
identified, and cannot be accessed. All these devices are USB 2.0
drives. If I connect a WD Mybook USB 3.0 drive, everything works
fine. Connecting a USB 2.0 mouse also works fine. The Cruzerblade shows USB
Amss Storage Device, driver 6.1.7601.17514
and Hardware Ids USB\VID_0781&PID_5567&REV_0200 when connected using
one of the USB 2.0 ports.

Using the USB 3.0 port, it shows Unknown Device, the same driver #,
but "No drivers are installed for this device", Hardware Ids show as
USB/Unknown. I've tried unloading, re-downloading and re-installing the Etron
USB
3.0 driver, with no improvement.

Can anyone offer suggestions on what the problem is or how I can
track it down?

It's Etron. The early drivers were flaky.

The users tend to search all over the place,
looking for the "right" driver. As eventually
Etron figured it out.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8243.0

This seems to be replacement firmware for the etron chip. Have you actually
installed this? I get a little nervous about replacing such firmware.

Would it then work with the 2013 driver from gigabyte's site?

They didn't make people very happy at first.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1803010

The driver on the Gigabyte page is from 2013, and you'd
think that would be modern enough.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...etron_usb3.exe

If you get no satisfaction, you can always pop in a
PCI Express x1 add-in USB3 card, one with a different
brand of USB3 chip (Renesas or Asmedia perhaps).
Renesas is the company formerly known as NEC Electronics,
and they managed to produce the first USB2 chip, as
well as make the first USB3 chip. But I don't think
they expected to remain the "most popular" solution,
as other companies will be more competitive on price.

The best USB3, is chipset USB3, due to the proper bandwidth
provided on the system bus side. These x1 slot solutions
tend to leave a bit to be desired. The PCI Express interface
on an x1 chip, should really be a bit faster. This isn't
all that important, if using older enclosures that only
go up to around 200MB/sec transfer rates.

Paul