Old December 17th 04, 11:59 PM
George Macdonald

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:16:41 GMT, lid (John
Savard) wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:22:22 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote, in part:

Well jsavard is using an *old* version of Free Agent but even the 1.93 I'm
using doesn't have a right click and "Save Link Target As.." I dunno what
the big deal is on either side here - copy/paste of a URL is always coming
up as a nuisance for file downloads, especially with the Adobe reader 6.0
being so damned slow to get started

... I use 4.0 in my old version of Netscape, but I have 5.0 and 6.0
installed on my machine as well for things that don't display, or don't
display well, in 4.0.

I had to give up with 5.0 (5.1?) - it was driving me crazy with lock-ups in
Win98 on Exit - others had the same problem and I was never able to get to
the bottom of it... though I suspected a conflict between a plugin and IE
5.5SP2 and maybe Mozilla 1.4. I'd been resisting going to 6.0 since it is
a pig, buggy -- though 6.0.2 has helped there -- and I hate the new search.

But the small awkwardness of displaying the PDF in a browser, instead of
just downloading it was the lesser of the two issues I raised. Providing
instead, where possible, a page with a link to a PDF document allows
also navigating to *the rest of the site* it came from, which may
contain interesting related items.

OK I see what you mean. The first point is less important to me now since
I just built a new system but it was extremely irritating with my old PIII
450. Before anybody jumps on this, this is also a side effect of the many
Web sites which omit or specify the wrong Mime type for files and prevent
Mozilla from taking the proper Helper App action; apparently IE doesn't
care about such things.

Rgds, George Macdonald