Old November 24th 04, 02:24 PM
Breck Fontaine

As always thanks for your advice.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:19:34 GMT, kony wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:56:45 -0500, Breck Fontaine
wrote:

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone had an answer to this. I bought a
Labtec optical/wireless mouse (M/N:M-RAD92). My question is about the
battery life of the two AAA batteries inside the mouse. It seems that
I cannot turn the mouse off when not in use. The red optical light is
always on. Is this normal for all wireless/optical mice? Any help
would be appreciated. I contacted Labtec but no reply back. I also
checked their faqs but no information there either.

Thanks!

Even if it drops down to a lower powered mode it still must
have the light to detect when you're moving it to come back
out of the lower power state. They are cheap devices, no
receiver in mouse so it won't "konw" if system is turned
off or (whatever), it has to be ready 24/7. It is normal
that the polling interval (to determine if it should come
out of sleep state) might vary. IIRC Microsoft's goes to
sleep faster than Logitech's but I might have it backwards
and have no idea where Labtec fits in, or if t even has a
sleep state at all instead of full-powered all the time.

Cordless optical mice eat batteries, fast enough that some
have moved to AA instead of AAA batteries, which are roughly
2.5-3X the capacity and still you might not get 50 days out
of a pair, but with AAA I'd expect a month isn't even
possible unless you accept poor function as it runs
batteries down to nothing, below voltages normally
considered drained. You could get 2 pair of rechargeable
AAA.