Old August 21st 04, 07:36 PM
Mike Richter

Mister Charlie wrote:
I have a LiteOn Buslink USB external CDRW that works fine in every
capacity EXCEPT: it won't play audio.

That's not to say audio doesn't work, it will rip fine and play
games fine...but even if I insert an mp3 disk, it will convert all
the tracks to 44 byte CDA's instead of the actual mp3's.

I've installed and uninstalled and updated firmware and everything
I can think of...any ideas? THANKS!

1. There is no "CDA" file; in fact, there are no files at all on a
CD-DA. The .CDA extension is an artifice of the OS to represent the tracks.

2. A CD-DA, whether it came from MP3s, WAVs or some other format, is
still a CD-DA. Its origin does not show. If the MP3 disc is a CD-DA made
from MP3, you are seeing exactly what you should. If it is a collection
of MP3 files, you may be seeing the effect of a VXB which in a non-NT OS
will lie to the OS about the type of file, letting you 'copy' a track as
though it were WAV, MP3 or other type.

3. To listen to a CD-DA in a modern version of Windows, try playing it
with digital output. You haven't connected the audio output from the
external drive to your computer. Therefore, the audio can't get there in
analogue from here.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/