Old July 29th 06, 07:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Allan C Cybulskie

Default Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

Walter Mitty wrote:
"Allan C Cybulskie" writes:

we wanted to. My point is that since most games are WRITTEN for
Windows that choice is not as practical as you and he imply.

No one said it was practical.

I never said that you SAID it ... I was VERY careful to use term
"imply" [grin].

Your argument is that he should just say "No" to Windows if he doesn't
like it. That implies that he could, practically, do so. Well, he

Not it doesnt. This is getting boring. Inserting "Imply" doesnt make it
ok to misquote.

Um, inserting "imply" means that I'm not quoting you or saying that you
actually said that, and thus it makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to misquote
you. The proper reply if I get it wrong is to say that you didn't mean
that, and then we go on from there. Not to accuse me of misquoting
when I wasn't quoting [grin].

But if you don't imply that it is practical for him or anyone else to
not use windows, then your ranting outrage seems utterly unreasonable
and misplaced. Surely -- as I showed in my work example -- I can
dislike and complain about something that I have no practical way to
avoid. The question is if Windows is annoying enough to give up PC
games entirely ... but anyone could still complain as vigorously if
they decided that their enjoyment of PC games outweighs their annoyance
at Windows. It would be more an indication of how much they like PC
games than an indication of how annoying or not annoying Windows is.

can't; to do so would mean he'd have to give up playing PC games. The
fact that he'd like to play PC games does not mean that he has to thus
avoid saying anythng bad about Windows or saying that he doesn't like
it. He wouldn't use it if not using it was practical, but it isn't.
So he has to use it, but that does not mean that he does or has to like
it.

Why are you defending this fanboyism?

But I'm not defending his fanboyism. I'm simply claiming that someone
who dislikes Windows as much as he does is not being inconsistent to
still use it, since they may have no practical choice not to. And your
comment -- and i COULD quote that -- was all about them either not
complaining or stop using it.

"microshaft" etc etc? He has no
idea what .net does, told lies about its penetration and accused ATI of
being lazy idiots. Is this ok by you?

This reply is like if in a discussion about the Iraq war someone said
"All Americans are rednecks", and then if I came in and opposed that
comment accusing me of supporting the Iraq war. I'm simply disagreeing
with two specific points you and Ben made that I thought were
excessive, nothing more.