Old September 15th 04, 05:55 PM
Paul

In article , GlassVial
wrote:

Do you have any reason to suspect the board has other problems ?
How about the power supply ? Is it possible the power supply
is not behaving the same way after the reboot ? There is no
reason for the test results to change between runs, unless some
external stimuli is changing, and that could be temperature
(unlikely), voltage (possible), or a change in the way that
the BIOS is initializing the system (huh?). Only voltage is
a reasonable explanation, either PSU voltage or an onboard
regulator is not stable or is not meeting the required
voltage value.

Do you have a way of measuring Vdimm ? Maybe it is dropping
in value when three DIMMs are installed.

HTH,
Paul

I don't have any reason to believe the board has other problems,
ironically Windows itself seems to be fine. I put a brand new PSU in
as part of my troubleshooting methods, made no difference. I'm
beginning to think that perhaps these memtest errors are like "false
positives" because it seems that Windows itself is running fine.
Measuring Vdmm, where, exactly? With a multimeter? If so, where?

-GV

First, start with a SDRAM module datasheet, as that will give you
the pinout of the DIMM slot.
http://download.micron.com/pdf/datas...32_64x64AG.pdf

6, 18, 26, 40, 41, 49, 59, 73, 84, 90, 102, 110, 124, 133, 143, 157, 168
VDD Supply Power Supply: +3.3V ±0.3V.

On page 3 of the document, the red pins are +3.3V.

With the computer unplugged, remove a DIMM from its socket, then use
the ohmmeter scale on your meter, and trace from a VDD pin, to the
circuit with the two toroids in the upper right hand corner of the
motherboard. I think that could be VIO, and the output filter
consists of a toroid and one or more electrolytic caps. The
output would look like this:

Push/Pull ---Toroid---+----------- VIO - To VDD on DIMM,
MOSFETs | AGP and PCI etc.
Cap.

GND

The only reason for using the ohmmeter, is to probe for a point
other than the DIMM socket, so you can measure VIO while all
three DIMM slots are populated, and there is no danger of
shorting something on the DIMM. The VIO should be available
somewhere in that pile of regulation circuitry in the upper right
hand corner of the board. That is where I would start.

I wish I had some kind of Athlon reference schematic, but I
don't have one in my collection.

Paul