Old November 30th 17, 09:12 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
David B.[_3_]

Default How to view what the hard drive is doing?

On 30/11/2017 03:51, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 15/10/2016 1:32 PM, David B wrote:
On 15-Oct-16 6:16 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 12/10/2016 6:03 PM, Pwr@p. wrote:
Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something that's not
bothering the hard drive, or right after it has booted up but I
haven't started
using it yet, I can hear the hard drive crank up and start making it's
busy
noises when it seems like there should be nothing for it to do. Is
there a way
to view what it IS doing? If so, can we tell if it's a virus or
malware or
something, and find out where they are so we can try to get rid of
them?

Thanks!

With Windows 7 and later, you can use the Resource Monitor utility
(Resmon.exe).

*** Yousuf Khan

Thanks for this, Yousuf!* :-)

I pasted Resmon.exe into the 'Ask me anything' box and was amazed at
how much information was then at my fingertips!

Yeah, I sort of stumbled into Resmon by accident one day, when I noticed
an extra button at the bottom of Task Manager that I never noticed
before, and I clicked on it! :-D

I do things like that too! ;-)

--
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” (Winston S.