Old November 29th 04, 02:23 PM
Trent©

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:25:26 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Trent©
wrote:

The manual isn't exactly 'wrong'. Your shop just had another way of
doing things...and I still do it the way your shop does it. I always
change the jumpers to single drive...or master...or slave.

When you have the drive set to CS, the computer needs to read the
drives each time it boots...and then make a decision as how to handle
them.

That isn't entirely true --

Sure it is.

The CS pin simply lets the drive jumper
itself correctly based on whether or not the PIN is set -- The company
doesn't make any more decisions in CS mode then in Master/Slave mode.

Sure it does.

With master, etc. settings, you already tell the computer which is
which...and that can speed the boot process. You can speed the
process further by changing the BIOS setting from 'auto' to the actual
parameters needed for that drive.

And, as was noted by someone here, you need a special cable when using
CS.

Virtually all 80-wire cables support CS.

An 80-wire cable is a special cable on MANY machines yet.

Have a nice one...

Trent