Old May 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
DaveW

GB ethernet will run over Cat. 5 cable no faster than 100 Mbps. GB ethernet
requires Cat. 6 cable.

--
DaveW

"Brandon Brown" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
I bought 2 Dlink DGE-530T 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) Ethernet cards to replace my
10/100 Mbps. To test it, I installed on 2 WinXP computers and linked with

Cat 5
crossover cable. The icons on the system tray showed "Speed: 1 Gbps" on

both
computers

Then, I tried to download some files form one computer to another using

both
Share drive and Webserver, the result was so disappointed... on average
it's about 3 MB/sec which is about 24 Mbps -- 24% of 100 Mbps!!! My old
10/100 Mbps could do the same???!!!! I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at
least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed! Am I correct?

Did I do something wrong? Is there something I need to setup in Windows,
registry or some settings in driver to
get faster speed? please help.

Thanks