Old January 19th 06, 03:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Storage migration from vendor to vendor

Take a look at the replication products from Kashya
(http://www.kashya.com). Not sure what your budget is, but they have
products that will help this. The initial investment might be steep but
done right you can roll that investment into a DR/backup solution after
the initial migration is completed.

They can connect to your SAN (OK, you say you can't do this) or by
splitting writes from the host with a special driver. As I understand
this product (just heard a presentation; have not actually used it)
replication can then proceed locally or over a WAN.

I'm sure there are other similar solutions out there if you look
around.

Bruce Clarke
..
jlreate wrote:
jlreate wrote:

Hello all,

The old annoying question comes back again. Due to decisions out of
the hands of the technical people I am facing the need to migrate san
storage from one storage vendor (STK) to another (EMC or Netapp or
even something else)

The question here is whether you are familiar with some technique or
product that can assist in "copying" LUNs from one vendor to the other
additionally with the limitation of not having the possibility to use
fiber channel or having both storage boxes in the same fabric (in
which case the migration could be done using volume management tools
through the operating system). In other words it would be most
preferrable to do the operation

In other words it would be most preferrable to do the operation over
LAN/WAN. (sorry for missing that bit from the post)