Old January 27th 11, 06:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuild
Chris[_19_]

Default $mft problem anyone?

"leia176" wrote in message ...

Does anyone know what's going on here? Please! Any ideas are appreciated!

I had:
Winxp updated to latest
ABIT iT7 Max2 Ver 2.
1gb Crucial ram
2.4 gh intel
Ati radeon 8500
Soundblaster audigy 2
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

I started getting "$MFT" errors (master file table?) first on one of my sata
drives. Occasionally other drives. The sata port went out completely.
Everytime this would happen I'd reboot and windows would go through this
whole scan disk type thing recovering orphaned files.

At first I thought the drive was bad, and then the port was bad, but it was
happening on all my drives!

Since that board definitely had a bad port I went for an:

bad memory is where i would start.

Win XP updated to latest
ASUS P4p800 deluxe
used an old ati rage videocard just for installing
no sound yet
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata drives I
transferred over.

Are all my drives going bad at once? They are all pretty new..within a year
old.

Could this possibly be a ram or cpu problem?