Old August 7th 05, 07:29 AM
Clark

You can reinstall WinXP and still have your data. Did you try the Repair
option? Before you try that, make sure which selections to make so you
won't end up reformatting and destroying your data.

On the big computer, was the master/slave jumper set correctly? You put it
in as a slave and booted to your normal hard drive? Is the drive set up
with FAT32 or NTFS partitions?

I don't work for these folks, so I am just passing this along, but they seem
to have a good disk recovery program to possibly get some of your data back.
I think it is around $100.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

It might help get some back, but if the drive is physically damaged, it
might not.

Clark

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a nearly new Inspiron 2200. Microphone input isn't working
right. Dell chat line representative insists on scheduling technician
to replace the motherboard.

Unfortunately, the technician leaves two screws loose when replacing
the mobo. I have the tech come back to fix this mysterious new buzzing
noise.

This time, I make the mistake of handing the laptop to the tech while
it is still in hibernation mode. I do not realize this is a mistake at
the time, but I soon find out. The tech doesn't check the machine's
power status; he immediately removes the motherboard while it is still
in hibernation.

snip