Old May 20th 04, 12:51 PM
Walmsley's

Default Microsoft Keyboard Causes Bootup to hang

Hi

I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
P4 3.2ghz HT
512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
Windows XP Home

I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers

The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2 connection
to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.

When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot. It
powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)

If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power down,
reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

A very bizarre problem!

I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!

Any advice on this greatly appreciated!

Nik.

Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly