Old October 27th 09, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Variable/Adjustable HSF FANS?? BIOS help

From: Pedro Sanchez IV
Newsgroups:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.perip hs.mainboard.giga-byte
Subject: Smart Fan BIOS Options. I am lost for the meanings of
options. Please help me.
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:06:16 -0400

Motherboard is GIGABYTE 'GA-EP45-UD3P' REV 1.0
OS is Windows 7 / 64-BIT

This the information I could gather from the BIOS's Fan Speed
controls.

CPU Smart FAN control AUTO
CPU Fan Mode AUTO

SMART-FAN OPTIONS
AUTO -CPU SMART FAN is controlled by BIOS.
DISABLED --CPU FAN IS always running at highest SPEED!
ENABLED --CPU FAN SPEED IS NOT FIXED AND VARIED ACCORDING TO
CPU TEMPERATURE.

CPU FAN MODE Options
AUTO --no descriptions for setting
VOLTAGE --no descriptions for setting
PWM --no descriptions for setting

Which setting, for both options, are appropriate to be able to
increase or descrease the RPM of the Fan speed from within Windows?

My HSF FAN is average set to 1,500 RPM and it is of the most rare
circumstance that it goes beyond 1500. I want to be able to set it 500
RPM higher but be able to do it within GUI Windows.

So, which settings should I choose in the BIOS?
Then, what software, if any, do I need installed to be able to adjust
the FAN Speed?

Thanks for helping and reading my post..

(((((Attempt #2 Since 10-26))))))

Try this.

Smart Fan Options - Disabled

CPU Fan Mode - this depends on fan type.
For a retail 4 pin Intel fan, it should be PWM.
For an aftermarket 3 pin fan, it should be VOLTAGE mode.

Then, try Speedfan from almico.com .

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

http://www.almico.com/speedfan439.exe (the speedfan download)

You can control the fans with Speedfan. Disabling the control
in the BIOS, means less chance for interference. It might in fact
work, that leaving it enabled in the BIOS, still allows Speedfan
to override it. But if you have problems, you can disable
the setting in the BIOS, to give Speedfan more of a chance to
adjust it.

Best guess,
Paul