Old April 25th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default Question about redundant power supplies

On 2007-04-24, Phil wrote:

Two supplies will increase the current, but only slightly. The

additional
fan of the added supply consumes the most extra power but that's not

much,
the electronics will not consume enough to talk about. Jez T is correct

in
that the server load will be divided equally between the two supplies so

the
total power consumption of the server "proper" remains the same. Bottom
line, you are adding one low current fan to the mix, not much for the

added
security.

Sounds good..

If you are concerned with power consumption, the single largest

consumption
of power that can be modified will be the CPU's. Chop it from four down

two and save a bunch. Remember, should you remove a cpu or two you have

install/plug in a terminator in it's place, Also be sure to unplug both
power cords before removing or installing them.

I was just curious how the redundancy worked more or less.. I realize that

I'm
probably paying around $40/mo to run this thing if my poor math is

correct..
We're about to start a remodel and I may either need to relocate this

darned
server to somewhere else for 4-6 months or shut it down completely during
the remodel.. I think my brother may be able to shove it somewhere in his
garage and get network access via wifi, but I'm not sure if I want to do

that
or not.. I looked into taking it to a local place that does on-site

hosting
so I could plug it into their network and power but it was going to cost

about
$600/mo.. Sheesh.. No thanks! If I disable the server than I guess I'll

have
to forward all email,etc.. What a pain..

Oh, I never heard any more from you on those 4200/4300 enclosures. I'm
getting ready to put a bunch of them (all flavors) on Ebay.

At this point, I'm in no hurry and will likely just wait for a while until

after
the remodel to do this.. Thanks for reminding me though..

Rick,
40 is rather high unless you have every option that can be had. If it is 4
cpu, and in your case you don't need them, remove two cpu's and insert
terminators in their place and power cost is usually 17ish a month average.
That 6400 pulls a little less than the DL580 even with 4 gig of ram. That
unit will also run on 1 cpu for even more savings.
I may have terminators if you need them.
Phil