Old June 4th 06, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x

Default My monitor went black in Linux/Debian (X) and text mode earliertoday...

A 22-05-2006 00:29, escreveu:
About over an hour ago, I was watching a long video (FLV file; not fullscreen) for about 30 minutes in GMPlayer on
my Linux/Debian box (Linux foobar 2.6.14-2-k7 #1 Wed Dec 28 19:14:46 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux) while my
gaming/Windows box was doing SpinRite stuff (so far no errors, but I will resume overnight since it has 8 hours to
go). Then, all the sudden my monitor's picture went black. Monitor said the video signal was still there (not
blinking). Audio from my cheap Sony speakers stopped too. I thought my computer crashed hard, but it wasn't since
I could still ssh into my box from another computer. I even tried ctrl-alt-backsapce to get out of X, but it
didn't work(?). I didn't see any text console (I set to boot to text mode so I have to type startx command). Also,
ps didn't show X and KDE running anymore so either I killed it or it died by itself.

My Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates) machine was still showing video and my desktop on the screen since it was
hooked up to an old 4-ports (since the end of 2001) OmniCube KVM switch (VGA and PS/2 ports) with the Linux box. I
looked, checked, and fiddled with the cables for KVM switch and connections to the Linux box. I rebooted the box
via SSH (love text modes!), HDD light was stuck/hung forever (not doing anything like loading or stopping), no
beeps, nothing on screen, etc. No go.

I decided to shut down (via SSH) the machine and power off for a few minutes (shut off power supply unit too).
Again, I looked around for any weirdness like moved my case, unplug, replug, etc. Then, I powered back on, heard a
beep (normal one), saw the bootup on screen, hit a key to stop at GRUB loader before loading Debian, ... and la la
it works again!

Any ideas on what the heck happened or had this problem before? Dang it, I lost my 142 days of uptime. Still did
not beat my 227 days from a few years ago! I hope this weirdness doesn't happen again.

Thank you in advance.

This happened to me few times (2 or 3 IIRC) on my Intel Pentium II 334Mhz.

When this happened, I was able to ssh my computer (using my deskop
Pentium). But I was not able to switch to vc1 nor to shutdown/restart X.

I think that when this happens it's a X-Windows System crash. All the
applications you started inside of X GUI are terminated because the
father process (X) dies. What I don't understand is why isn't it
possible to switch to vc1 (or to any other vc) using
CTRL+ALT+F1-F6 or ALT+F1-F6 when this happens. Maybe it's
because the X process locks the input devices and they are not unlocked
when X crashes.

My video card is a `S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX' (lspci).

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka NJSG)
Lisbon, Portugal

Using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7
Gentoo Linux -- Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686 Mobile Pentium II
Intel Pentium II (80686) Deschutes - 334Mhz -- 256 Mbs SDRAM
Intel Mobile Pentium II (80686) - 300 Mhz -- 64 Mbs SDRAM
Intel Pentium (80586) - 166 Mhz -- 32 Mbs RAM

-=-=-
``Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving
birth to a child. She must be found and stopped.''
-- Sam Levenson