Old May 22nd 06, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x

Default My monitor went black in Linux/Debian (X) and text mode earlier today...

About over an hour ago, I was watching a long video (FLV file; not fullscreen) for about 30 minutes in GMPlayer on
my Linux/Debian box (Linux foobar 2.6.14-2-k7 #1 Wed Dec 28 19:14:46 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux) while my
gaming/Windows box was doing SpinRite stuff (so far no errors, but I will resume overnight since it has 8 hours to

I suggest you read this:
http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm

and then think about how productive those hours spent doing "Spinrite
stuff" are.

Interesting. Then, what do you suggest using? I already tried chkdsk.exe, Norton Disk Doctor, and SeaTools
Desktop so far. Nothing unusual. I had to stop SpinRite since it said it would be about 8 hours, on my 95 GB
partition/drive so I decided to save it for tonight.

Maybe I'm being dense tonight, but I don't see the connection between your
monitor going black on your Linux machine and running SPinRite on your
Windows machine?

Oh, that was a side story. I was doing something else. But I doubt that can cause the probelms I had on my Linux
box.

But anyway, modern disks have the capability to self diagnose and
fix problems. If you look at the S.M.A.R.T. data, you will see quite a lot
of information about the disk's performance. If you start seeing a lot of
CRC errors, or if you start seeing increasing numbers of re-mapped
sectors, then you need to buy a new disk. Really, today there is little
need today for surface analysis tools since the disks do it automatically.

Well, I wished I could read the SMART info, but I think this Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ST3120026A 120 GB (8 MB
cache; 7200 RPM) HDD, that SpinRite was working on, has limitations. It is connected via VIA SATA Controller
(onboard Promise controller just won't boot up Windows XP 100%). So, no SMART information, temperature readings,
etc. Even SpinRite said that too. Just remember, I have three internal HDDs and two CD/DVD drives. Anyways, this
is another subject and off-topic.

I guess the question is: what problem are you trying to fix?

It was only a side story and off-topic. So ignore it.

As for your Linux machine -- well, I assume you are using the
closed-source nVidia driver? Perhaps it caused the video problem?

Maybe, but I never had that problem before with all NVIDIA driver releases. It still doesn't explain why I
couldn't see anything in text mode and after reboots until I powered down the machine for a few minutes.
--
"Be thine enemy an ant, see in him an elephant." --Turkish Proverb
/\___/\
( )