Old July 31st 04, 12:24 PM
patrickp

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:05:18 GMT, Pluvious
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:09:16 +0200, Cole Turner
wrote:

ok, obviously first I uninstall the nvidia drivers, then shut down PC,
install ati card, then ...

... install the omega drivers?

(Sapphire x800 Pro)

I prefer stability to a few % performance !

thanks guys!

Cole ***

yes.. uninstall the nvidia drivers, but before you shut down, you
should run this program, http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ then
reboot. Personally, I then switch the video drivers to basic standard
vga in windows. THEN .. reboot one more time, and then double click
omegas .exe file.

Pluvious

A couple of quibbles, Cole - Pluvious' is generally a good
recommendation, although I would be inclined to run Driver Cleaner
after uninstalling and rebooting, although it's less convenient
(you'll be on the VGA drivers and not have such a good display). If
you have an NVidia chipset, you may have trouble distinguishing
between chipset and card drivers: probably a good idea to install the
chipset drivers too, clean everything, then reinstall the chipset
drivers.

I'd also recommend starting off with the latest Catalyst drivers (4.7,
soon to be 4.8 - apparently with OGL finally fixed!) rather than
Omega, to start with, as several people later in this thread have also
suggested. You can always change to the Omega drivers if you want to
try them; probably best to go with the standard ones to start off.
The basic purpose of Omega's drivers is game (_not_ benchmark)
performance; despite what some people here say, they are not
inherently more stable than Catalyst drivers. I have tried them on
more than one occasion and, and as a non-latest-and-greatest games
player, have found no advantages - and as many problems, probably, as
I've had with Catalysts i.e. very few, but not none.

And don't forget to install DX9 if you don't have it - DX 9.0c has
just come out: I'm running it now on W2K and 98SE boxes: no problems,
stable.

patrickp

- take five to email me