Old October 28th 04, 07:55 AM
R. Asby Dragon

"upgrdman" wrote in message
om...

A friend of mine gave me a SCSI controller card a while ago, and I'm
finally starting to think about buying a really fast SCSI HDD so I can
boot up, and load stuff as quickly as possible without RAID

OK, so back on topic. The card I have lying around is an Adaptec
AHA-2940U2W.

Small problem here if you want short boot time with the 2940 . I'm not
familiar with newer SCSI controllers; but the 2940 I know well. The "boot
overhead" time needed by the 2940 (and all SCSI cards of that design era
AFAIK) adds 10-30 seconds before the OS begins loading from the HD.

(Inviting someone familar with newer SCSI smarts to add comments )