Old July 8th 04, 09:23 PM
Ben Pope

hupjack wrote:
I have an A7N8X motherboard that I believe is sending an excessive amount
of noise through the line out channel.

SNIP!

Another aspect I found.. the noise is greatly reduced by muting the CD
Audio volume, or yanking that cable off the mother board. From 1:25 to
1:49 the system is idle again, with the noise just like at the beginning,
but at 1:49 I mute the CD Audio, and you'll note that I just about kill
the offending noise.. Now if you pump up the volume, you'll note that the
interference is still faintly in the background.. but you really have to
crank up the volume to hear it. I don't know why this noise would be
coming through the CD audio.. My CD ROM is a Lite on LTR-52327. I notice
the CD audio cable passes right over top of my video card, (the onboard
connector is awkwardly on the other side of the AGP port from the cd rom
drive) and I got the video card, a V7100 from my uncle and don't
necessarily trust it since I didn't personally buy it in a store.

You found your problem, a crappy not very well shielded audio cable dangling
around in a high EMI environment.

Pull it off, and consign it to the bin, forever.

Then enable (DAE) digital audio extraction (Device Manager - DVD/CD-ROM
Drives - Drive - Properties)

Also, if you're using WinAmp, and wish to play CDs, set up the input plugin
CDDB2 to use DAE. Media Player 7+ should do it automagically too.

Also, mute ANY analogue input you are not using (Line-in, Mic, Aux).

That should give you an acceptable noise floor.

Ben