Old August 2nd 03, 06:50 PM
BUFF

"Mitchua" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

I upgraded from an XP1800+ to an XP2400+ (couldn't find an XP2600+

266FSB
chip) & by changing multipliers it is now happily running at 2.3Ghz -
effectively something over an XP2800+.

Did you really notice that much of a difference in preformance?

With a 50% jump in clockspeed -in 2D no, in games yes, but that PC runs an
unlocked ATI 9500 Pro & the CPU was the bottleneck.

Is your XP1800+ a Palomino, Thoroughbred "A" or "B"?

Palomino.

Not a lot you can do then unless you fancy some surgery.

The A7V266-E is not a good FSB overclocker (usually about 145 max) but

if
you have a Thoroughbred "B" you can probably adjust the multiplier (have

move the Palo freq jumper back to Athlon/Duron) without any surgery to

the
chip. Otherwise you will have to unlock the chip.

It was booting into WinXP "stable" at 11.5 mult,148 fsb,1.85volt

(~1701mhz)
but I'd be downloading something and then BANG blue screen of death. I
assume that was OC'ed too high (right?). Anyhow, I settled on 1.80volt,
11.5 mult, 138 fsh = 1621MHz and it seems to be running stable. Should I
try to OC it any more?

SNIP

As I said usually about 145 is the max so you were doing pretty well at 148.
A Palomino & an A7V266-E are just not a great overclocking platform (very
stable everyday rig though).