Old October 31st 03, 04:28 PM
Howard

So does that mean that as long as you keep the polarities straight
that it doesn't matter if the USB1 row goes on the USB2 row and vice
versa? I ask this because one of my set of pins is 4 and one is 5 and
based on strictly putting USB1 on the USB 1 row (if I understand it
correctly) I will be stuck with the 4 pin group on the 5 pin row and
vice versa. It all works out nicely if the USB 1 row goes on 2 and
the USB 2 row goes where 1 should be and then the 5 pin grouping is on
the 5 pin row on the motherboard...the extra 5th pin is labeled
'shield'

Howard

as one front case USB connector. Is this correct?

Not really - Each USB port is 4 independent connections, and the most
common order for the 4 is -
+5v, D-, D+, 0v
The extra one in a 5, is usually an additional (chassis) Ground -
though some boards seem to have an overcurrent warning signal ...
this should NOT be connected to an extra ground.

Motherboards lay out the ports in various ways.
1. 2 independent lines of 4 or 5
2. A block of 8 or 10, with the two lines going the same way, or
opposite.
3. There ARE layouts incompatible the common 4/5 way alignment.