Old January 5th 05, 12:17 AM
David Johnstone

What about the Zalman Reserator 1?
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product...t.asp?code=021
Has anyone good or bad experiences with that?
It seems to be one of the few for socket 939, and it is
widely available and reasonably priced here in Germany
(around EUR170 mail order).
It looks decent but I have never seen one close up or built
one into a system. Any good?
David

Unless you want to overclock much further than you have already (2.4
GHz) then a decent air cooler would be as good and a lot cheaper than
water.

I had a volcano 7 once, it performed no better than the stock HSF and
was extremely noisy. The best HSF I have used was a Zalman 7000cu, but
it does have some disadvantages;
1) You need four mounting holes around your cpu, check your mobo.
2) To fit the mounting points you need to remove the mobo from the case.
3) It weighs a lot, if you're heavy handed moving your case around you
risk the HSF breaking off the mobo and leaving you with a lot of damage.

I had 2.5GHz from a 2500 @ 1.85v 200x12.5 with the 7000cu, ambient -
20C, case - 29C, socket - 41C. I ran it at 2300rpm and it was virtually
silent.

I run water now, after a lot of research I found that most of the (sub
£200) kits out there are pretty crap, and ended up going with Dangerden
water blocks and a decent 120mm rad. You need a BIG case too unless you
want pump, rad and res outside the case. I have not had a leak (yet),
but it's due for a water change sometime soon and that can produce a
leak or two.

You can do water cooling on a budget, car heater rad, home made water
blocks and res, fish tank pump etc., just don't go for a cheap
commercial kit

Go for better air cooling initially, it can still be as quiet as water.