Old January 4th 05, 02:01 PM
Apollo

"Lee" wrote in message
I currently got a barton 2500+ clocked to 3200+ using a Thermaltake
Volcano
7+ and am getting fed up with the noise its producing so I am
considering
going over to watercooling again! (yes I once had koolance prebuilt
watercooling case but had bad experience it leaked )

I would want least noise possible and be as cheap as possible if I
have to
build it up myself or preferably a pre-built one of good quality
(Vapochill
too expensive)

I also like my current atx case so a kit with good adapability would
be a
major requirement.

Anyone any suggestions?? just dipping my toe in water

Unless you want to overclock much further than you have already (2.4
GHz) then a decent air cooler would be as good and a lot cheaper than
water.

I had a volcano 7 once, it performed no better than the stock HSF and
was extremely noisy. The best HSF I have used was a Zalman 7000cu, but
it does have some disadvantages;
1) You need four mounting holes around your cpu, check your mobo.
2) To fit the mounting points you need to remove the mobo from the case.
3) It weighs a lot, if you're heavy handed moving your case around you
risk the HSF breaking off the mobo and leaving you with a lot of damage.

I had 2.5GHz from a 2500 @ 1.85v 200x12.5 with the 7000cu, ambient -
20C, case - 29C, socket - 41C. I ran it at 2300rpm and it was virtually
silent.

I run water now, after a lot of research I found that most of the (sub
£200) kits out there are pretty crap, and ended up going with Dangerden
water blocks and a decent 120mm rad. You need a BIG case too unless you
want pump, rad and res outside the case. I have not had a leak (yet),
but it's due for a water change sometime soon and that can produce a
leak or two.

You can do water cooling on a budget, car heater rad, home made water
blocks and res, fish tank pump etc., just don't go for a cheap
commercial kit

Go for better air cooling initially, it can still be as quiet as water.

--
Ian