Old October 30th 04, 07:17 PM
papasurf

Well said and I wholeheartedly agree. If my system is stable I am not
worried about temps.
"jakesnake66" wrote in message
After reading thousands of posts here and elsewhere regarding overclocking
amd cpus, it seems to me that most overclockers (and pc
builder/enthusiasts)
are too concerned about heat - or at least their concerns about particular
heat ranges are off the mark. Mind you, I'm by no means an expert, but
I've
overclocked many cpu/mobos and graphics cards, and I often run cpus in
heat
ranges that a lot of people seem to consider undesirable or even
dangerous.
Is there any real danger running an athlon at 60+ degrees C under load?
Doesn't AMD consider anything under 80-90C "safe?" It seems like the
consensus is that desirable temp ranges are 40-50C, with the upper end of
that giving a lot of people concern, and causing many to go to greater
lengths for cooling. I've seen people brag about temps under 40C, as if
they've really accomplished something. Have they? We're only going to
use
these cpus a couple years (at most) anyway, so any supposed
shortening/lenthening of life seems irrelevant to me. On this particular
pc, I'm running a mobile 2500 at 2.3ghz using a TR2M1. I have two 80mm
case
fans that I leave off most of the time because of the noise. If I can
believe Sandra, I idle at about 54C, and top out around 64C after 30
minutes
of gaming. My 9800Pro g-card is slightly oc'ed and puts off a bit of heat
itself. The computer runs great, and I see no evidence that my temp range
causes any negative consequences.
Just looking for a little discussion.
Thank you,

jakesnake