Old February 24th 09, 01:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Connect ps/2 to EXP8661

HDI wrote:
On 21 feb, 19:45, kony wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 02:02:45 -0800 (PST), HDI

wrote:
Hi,
I want to experiment with an old computer but the manual of the
motherboard isn't so good.
It's an EXP8661 motherbord, you can see the layout at:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherbo...ORPORATION-Pen....
So the MS1 is the ps/2 mouse connector were I have the put in my
counter. The connector on the motherboard has 4 pins and the counter
has 5 holes and one of them hasn't got a wire. So it's like no wire,
yellow one, blue one, red one, green one.
Can anyone help me connecting it?
BTW: can I do something wrong by connecting it wrong?

I don't recall, if I ever knew, what the typical color
coding for a PS2 port dongle was. You have vcc (power),
ground, data, and clock lines.

With a multimeter you can determine which pin is power by 5V
when the system is on (meter ground being system ground
anywhere). With the meter the ground pin will have
practically zero resistance to case ground. With data and
clock, if you get them reversed it won't work, just switch
the two around and try again.

Similar for the dongle itself, by looking at a pinout for a
PS2 port, you can use the meter to check continuity to
confirm which pins in the socket each connector pin
corresponds to.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

I don't have a multimeter.

So the lines are data, data ground, vcc.

Should I connect it like this: yellow wire (data), blue wire (data),
red wire (ground), green wire (vcc)
Or: green wire (data), red wire (data), blue wire (ground), yellow
wire (vcc)

And the hole with no wire is for nothing?

OK, the manufacturer says it is data, data, ground, vcc.

It is either

clock, data, ground, vcc

or it is

data, clock, ground, vcc

According to this page, the data and clock are open collector,
so you should be able to try either wiring pattern and see
if it works. They also include a couple diagrams for
DIN connector wiring.

http://eyetap.org/ece385/lab4.htm

Paul