Old December 24th 03, 05:47 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:49:20 +0000, SL wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
It's a Tbred A core. cpuid 680 (Family Model,Stepping). Shouldn't have a
problem running it as a 2200+ (1800MHz). Anything higher than that will
be hit or miss. There's more info in the site below.

I gave it a quick shot this morning. I tried booting using "user defined"
settings via my bios (latest flash for KD7A). I set it at a 1.650 Vcore and
set the multiplier at 13.5.

It did boot almost fully at that setting. I could recognize the mouse
pointer, but that was about it.

Then try the same settings with more vcore until it's stable and boots and
runs. Use a boot cd or something besides the HD while tesing so you don't
screw up your OS install. Personally, I use a Memtest boot cd. When it
passes that is the only time I let it boot from the HD. it may be ok at
1.675v or it may take up to 1.75v. Some people will go on up to 1.85v or
higher, but I don't like to run mine more than .1v over the default for
the speed of the cpu I'm trying to reach. Default for a 2200+ A core is
1.65v.

I reset to factory settings for my chip. I then tried using the
computers settings it had (again in bios) for a 2200+ chip. The
settings were what you recommended with the exception of the Vcore
stayed at its 1.600v setting. I did not get past the POST. I had to
reset the cmos to alter the settings back default. The monitor was
blank, so I had to.

Some (most?) Abit boards have a Speed Error Hold setting in the bios. Make
sure it's disabled if you want to use a setting other than the actual cpu
or that's what it means. It won't boot, but hold.:-)

Anyways, got back home and posted the results. Might my restriction be
my generic chips of pc2100? Or how about the only other gizmo in a pci
slot, the SBlive Value card?

Wouldn't worry about the ram unless you start messing with the fsb. You
realize your not going to get a lot more speed out of this cpu. A cores
just don't overclock much. Your default speed is 1666Mhz as a 2000+, so
we're only talking about another 134MHZ. if you can't get it to work at
13.5x133 try 13x133.