Old December 9th 03, 07:58 PM
Marc Reinig

Here's a relevant quote from the docs"

============================
This error message can occur if either of the following conditions exists:
a.. Your computer has hardware or software problems (hardware failure is
the most common cause).

-or-
b.. You try to over clock the speed of your computer's processor (for
example, you set a 150 MhZ processor to run at 187 MhZ).
The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is
either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal. The most
common causes of a STOP 0x7F a

a.. Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
b.. Mismatched memory modules
c.. A malfunctioning motherboard
To determine an approximate cause, examine the parameters at the top of the
STOP screen:
**STOP 0x0000007F (0x000000XX, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

The most important parameter is the first one (0x0000000X) which may have
several different values. The cause of this trap can vary, depending on the
value of this parameter. All traps that cause a STOP 0x7F can be found in
any Intel x86 microprocessor reference manual as they are specific to the
x86 platform. Here are some of the most common ones:
============================

The first parameter shows that you have a double fault.

============================
Double Fault
A double fault occurs when an exception occurs while trying to call the
handler for a prior exception. Normally, the two exceptions can be handled
serially, however there are several exceptions that cannot be handled
serially and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. The two
primary causes for this are hardware and kernel stack overflows. Hardware
problems are usually related to CPU, RAM, or bus. Kernel stack overflows are
almost always caused by faulty kernel-mode drivers.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:
a.. If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is
required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem,
try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:
1.. Run diagnostic software and test the RAM in the computer. Replace
any RAM reported as bad. Also, make sure all the RAM in the computer is the
same speed.
2.. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other
peripherals.
3.. Try a different motherboard on the computer.
b.. If you are over clocking the speed of your processor, set it back to
the speed at which it is designed to run.
c.. Check with the hardware vendor for any updated hardware drivers or
BIOS updates, or both.
================================

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

"Where's Wally" wheres_wally99[NO wrote in message
am having a problem and I am hoping for some advice. My computer runs
fine except when I try to play games and after about 10min of game playing

get the blue screen of death. It says about disabling system bios and
caching which are already disabled, any way the last thing it says is :

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm starting to think that my video card may be stuffed, cause I have

tried
reloading drivers, directx and the problem still persists, so if anyone

has
any ideas what may be wrong I am open to suggestions.

My specs:
Amd Athlon Xp 3000+
1 GiG DDR 400 Ram
Geforce Ti4200