Old December 9th 03, 07:45 PM
kony

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:04:09 GMT, "Where's Wally" wheres_wally99[NO
wrote:

am having a problem and I am hoping for some advice. My computer runs
fine except when I try to play games and after about 10min of game playing I
get the blue screen of death. It says about disabling system bios and
caching which are already disabled, any way the last thing it says is :

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm starting to think that my video card may be stuffed, cause I have tried
reloading drivers, directx and the problem still persists, so if anyone has
any ideas what may be wrong I am open to suggestions.

My specs:
Amd Athlon Xp 3000+
1 GiG DDR 400 Ram
Geforce Ti4200
2 X WD 80G Harddrives
7VT600 Gigabyte mainboard
Windows Xp Professional.

Monitor the CPU temps, try running with case cover off if you suspect
overheating. Check fans for proper operation.

When you reloaded the drivers, does that simply mean retrying same
driver version(s)? If so then try a (vastly) different version... for
example if it's a 40-series driver, try 50-series, or vice-versa.

Check power supply voltages too, particularly the 3V & 5V readings.

That type of error USUALLY isn't because of a failing video card, it
would instead show visual anomalies, crashes without a kernel error,
or just no video anymore.

The easiest way to troubleshoot might be by starting out with it
underclocked... go into bios or motherboard jumpers/switches and
reduce the FSB & memory to 100MHz synchronous. If you didn't already
have the memory running synchronous to the FSB (same speed) I'd
suggest trying that too. With the underclocked settings put the
system though the same situations and see if it's stable. If it is
that should rule out operating system, driver, and game problems and
narrow it down to hardware, overheating or electrical problems.

If it isn't stable underclocked then a more careful look at the game
might help and also testing the memory (http://www.memtest86.com) for
several hours.