Old December 25th 03, 05:43 PM
benzplan9

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
In article , drc023
@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net says...

I remember using Sheaffer Skrip on my old DJ500. It worked every time. I
wouldn't consider trying it on the newer printers like my three Canon's but
I do a lot of refilling on these printers with Sensient- Formulabs ink from
www.alotofthings.comand and it works perfectly. Your post mentioning using
different colored fountain pen ink made me think of doing just the reverse.
Instead of putting fountain pen ink in an inkjet, how about using refill ink
in a fountain pen? I occasionally like to use a fountain pen for writing
checks and other documents instead of a ballpoint. I wonder how well the
refill ink would work in a fountain pen? Some interesting colors could be
achieved by mixing a few drops. I haven't tried it yet, but when I get a few
spare moments, I just might give it a shot.

One issue might be the ink type. Don't most pens use pigmented ink? Most
home/office inkjets use dyes for color and black, although HP still uses
pigmented black on most printers.

Fountain pens use water based dye inks. Drawing inks and calligraphy
inks may contain varnish/shellac/binder and or pigments and should
never be used in a fountain pen. If pigmented inks are used they will
most likely lead to clogging in fountain pens. See numerous
discussions on alt.collecting.pens-pencils archives (Google). Parker
Quink or Sheaffer Skrip are some of the safest inks made.

My trials at using printer ink for fountain pens led to too much flow,
feathering and bleedthru. I suppose printer ink would work best in
fine or extra-fine nibs instead of the medium and broad that I usually
use.

--Ben