Old October 9th 03, 03:27 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:05:54 GMT, "yeeyoh"
wrote:

Hi I read this news group quite a bit and I know people seem to enjoy
putting down the MX cards and the FX5200.

We don't ENJOY putting anything down (other than Nvidia and ATI
fanboys)

I've been using a MX440se 64MB DDR PCI on a 1.2 GHz celeron, 256Mb
sdram.
I'm upgrading very soon(maybe even this morning) to an AMD 2600+ (333
FSB) 512MB 2700 DDR ram. On an asus motherboard. ( The choice of
motherboards was based on comments I read on this newsgroup).

AMD 2500+ is overclockable to AMD 3000 speeds and then some out of the
box.

For a short while I'll be using my present video card(mx440se PCI). I
found this card worked great in my system, but with the new upgrade I want
to take advantage of the 8xAGP etc.

And what advantage were you expecting? Considering the BEST cards
gain very little from 8xAGP slot, a lower end will do less.
Performance differences is about 0~3%... but your new hardware will be
8xAGP.

The best I can do for a video card will be the FX5200. (the video cards
around here are still priced at about $129.99 +Tx Canadian for a FX5200 or
MX440 8xAGP.) I've looked on a few web sites and the Canadian stores online
are still charging around $109.99 when the tax and shipping is added its
about the same.

While you can... since youre on a budget - get the TI4200 for $80
(USD) pay extra to ship it up to you... www.pricewatch.com Not even
the fx5600 outruns the TI4200.

And or does anyone know a good Canadian online store with good prices
and a good reputation. I'd consider a more expensive card but the jump from
say a FX5200 to a FX5600 is huge and something I might have to put off till
later. I'm really not interested in the Ti series at all.

Whats wrong with the Ti series? Not until you get the $200
fx5600ULTRA, is it faster than the Ti4200. For that money, you might
as well get the ATI9600Pro... which I've heard is cheaper in Canada
anyways (since they are a Canadian company).

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!