Old April 6th 10, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter Dassow

Default First Geforce GTX 480 Review

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

yes, I would agree with you that also some nVdidia driver versions
failed. But... my last expirience was related with an ATI 5770 and
really annoying incompatibilities with Star Wars Battlefront II (high
CPU load, but just with the ATI card), many crashs in games like WoW,
Aion and even in very old games like Age of Mythology. I was also very
disappointed about the (missing) speed of the card, compared to my old
9800GT AMP from Zotac

I can tell you that the Radeon 5770 is perfectly compatible with the
games you listed. To me this sounds very clearly that there was
something else wrong with either the gfx card or your system. Often
enough the reason for such problems is simply that the old drivers
haven't been removed completely before the new card and new drivers were
installed.

Generally, no matter what gfx card you buy, you can expect that all of
them work fine with games and other applications. If it doesn't then
this is usually is no sign of incompatibility (even when it looks like
the easiest explanation), it simply is a bright sign telling you that
there is something wrong in your system.

That's what I call in german "frommer Wunsch" (can't translate it
directly, "wishful thinking" may be).
Compatibility with games is always depending from the maturity of a
driver. In that case, may be it was related with the first AT catalyst
driver which supports the HD5770 also.
But, *I* tested it more than twice, I had *no* problems before using the
HD5770, and afterwards, I had no problems too with the above mentioned
games. So it *must* be related with the driver version I used, and at
this time, there was no other version which supports the HD5770 (it was
one version before 10.0 I remember).
Usually I am always trying to get rid of the drivers of the "old" card
before swapping to the new video card. So I used uninstall AND a
specific nVidia driver cleaning tool. That's all you can do (or do you
always reinstalling Windows just for swapping a video card ? Ridiculous...).
It seems you're a convinced ATI fan, so I should try to talk about it
further.

Regards
Peter